Hildebrand's Mills: Two Civil War Industries On Flint Creek, Cherokee Nation
Presented by Talbot Library & Museum.
We are presenting a booklet, originally prepared in 2004, to support information and funding by the then active Beck-Hildebrand Mill Museum Association for the purpose of restoring the Mill. The original Mill was built circa 1840’s, then destroyed by a flood in 1892. The replacement structure was completed in 1907 and referred to as the Beck Mill after its builder, Aaron Head Beck. The Beck Mill operated until 1967. Research was done on the importance of the Mill during the Civil War for this publication. One of the primary sources was the 128 volumes of the “Official Records of the War of the Rebellion.” The Hildebrand-Beck Mill was the only mill site in the Cherokee Nation to have served as a military post, to have had breastworks created for is protection, and to have a military hospital established - Time and nature’s elements have taken their toll on the mill”. The Cherokee Nation now has ownership of the property. This booklet contains history of the Mill and its importance to residents of the Cherokee Nation/Indian Territory and southern Delaware County, Oklahoma. Paperbound, 34 pages, including maps and photos.